Looking to get some people talking at your next BBQ? Use this bacon barbecue sauce on your ribs to add even more flavor. This is just one other way to sneak some bacon into your next meal.
- 2 finely chopped onions
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 6 ounces of bacon
- 1 cup of brewed coffee
- 1 cup of ketchup
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of ancho chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons of dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon of worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 3 bay leaves
- salt (to taste)
- Dice the bacon and place it in a saucepan over a burner set to medium-low heat. You want to slowly cook the bacon so the fat melts and the bacon does not crisp up.
- Drain the fat from the bacon and add 2 tablespoons of olive oil (more if needed) to the pan with the bacon. Add the chopped onions, minced garlic and chopped thyme to the pan and cook them until the onlons are clear. You want to be careful not to burn the onions.
- Add the following into the pan: ancho chili powder, ground cumin, freshly ground pepper, ground ginger, yellow mustard and mix.
- Add the coffee, worcestershire, brown sugar and cider vinegar to the pan.
- Bring the contents of the pan to a boil.
- Add the ketchup and bay leaves and simmer for 30 minutes.